Hi! I tried to install Visual SourceSafe Internet but received the following error:
Visual SourceSafe Internet was not enabled on this computer because
Internet Information Services (IIS) is not installed. Please install Internet
Information Services before configuring Visual SourceSafe Internet.
I'm using the July Visual SourceSafe CTP on Windows 2003 with IIS installed and otherwise properly configured to support multiple web sites, each with its own IP address. I suspect that the installer is looking for a non-existant website with an ID of "1" although I wouldn't be surprised if the root problem was something else.
Anyway, a workaround would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....
You are correct that VSS is looking for the website with ID=="1".
Currently, the VSS Admin tool can only enable the VSS Internet Service on the default website, with ID==1.
The RTM version will include some help pages that will allow you to enable manually the service on any website.
Meanwhile, the simplest workaround may be to:
1) use IIS Manager to export the websites configuration into an xml file,
- open IIS manager and select the "Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager" node.
- right click the node, choose AllTasks/BackupRestoreConfiguation...
- click CreateBackup button
- pick a filename (say "changesiteid") and click ok, close the backup dialog
2) manually edit the metabase/xml file and change the desired website ID to "1"
- locate the changesiteid.MD0 file (generally in %windows%\system32\inetsrv\MetaBack folder)
- edit the file and replace the site id (all occurences of "/LM/W3SVC/nnnnn" with "/LM/W3SVC/1")
- save and close the file
3) import back the configuration using IIS Manager
- right click again the IIS node, choose AllTasks/BackupRestoreConfiguation...
- selec the "changesiteid" backup line, click Restore button
- agree with restore, etc. close the dialogs after restore is complete
4) use SSAdmin to enable the webservice on the default website.
(you may also need to create manually the upload/download folders, if you encounter problems see this long thread http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2774)